Saturday, November 30, 2013

Moving towards Christmas

We had a great first Thanksgiving here in Japan.  I find that after Thanksgiving weekend is over, we are thrust into the Christmas season.  We tend to get caught up in the hustle and bustle of life, busy calendars and being pulled in many different directions.  How many of us just try to survive the holidays?  

One thing that tends to go out the window for me is the art of slowing down and reflecting during this special season.  I tend get caught up in the activities of life and I don't take time to reflect on what God did for me as He came to Earth that first Christmas morning.  This morning as I was reading my devotional, I was reminded of this:

"Modern man has lost the perspective of eternity.  To distract himself from the gaping jaws of death, he engages in ceaseless activity and amusement.  The practice of being sill in My Presence is almost a lost art, yet it is this very stillness that enables you to experience My eternal Love."  Jesus Calling by Sarah Young.

We are going to try and embrace slowing down this month.  It will be hard, but yet it is vital to our well-being.  When we slow down we can reflect on the love of God that has for us, the blessings that this year had bestowed upon us, and mourn the trials and heart ache that we have experienced.

Lou & I aren't typically very liturgical in our practices, but this year, we are going to spend some time each Sunday celebrating the Advent.  The Advent season reminds us that to "reenter" the story of the coming King….Jesus.  Today, we are going to reflect on the first week of hope.  We would encourage you to STOP for a few moments, cease activity and reflect on the hope we have.

No comments: